Sunday, March 18, 2012

Celebration of Life

We have been very busy for the last several weeks.  So much has been going on.   As my title explains, we have been celebrating life.   On Feb. 29th, my very kind and tender hearted cousin passed away.   After only being diagnosed with Melanoma five months earlier.  
Jonathon Doyle Derting
It was a heartbreaking decision to go to the service, it was difficult to leave my family, especially on Da's birthday.  However, I felt very strongly that I should go, show my love for Jonathon, and for Aunt Kathleen and Uncle John.  We grew up very close, and have remained that way all throughout my life.   I appreciate Aunt Kath and Uncle John so much and care so deeply for them.  It was the right thing to do, go and be there for them and show them my love.  Pictured above is Johnny, with his two children, Natalie, and Calib.

Though under sad circumstances, it was very nice to spend the day with my family. All of my siblings came and even my newest sister in law Lara.   Though my trip was very short,(left on Friday morning, and was home by Sunday afternoon) it was great to spend some time with my parents and siblings. And of course to spend time with my aunts and uncles and cousins. 


As mentioned before, I left on Da's birthday, but we celebrated later after I got home.   I made him a cheesecake, his favorite.  Also, I think I made up for missing his real day with the suggestion that he buy himself the new ipad for his gift. 
Blowing out all 34 candles, I am so glad he is as old as me now.  At least for 6 months that is.
Though the next two pictures were taken of Da at Jacks party, I am sure that he enjoyed beating up on the pinata too.   This thing was like rock solid, the kids totally needed help.

Jack's birthday is just 3 days after Da's.  We had his family party on Sunday after I came home from the funeral.  Da has to teach a night class on Monday, and Jack was so excited we didn't want him to have to wait until Tuesday.  Let's just say he had a very Star wars birthday.  He loved all of his presents!  Way to go on the star wars blanket Grandma Sue!  It was a pretty big hit!


Blowing out his 4 candles! No way is this little baby boy 4!

A couple of years ago, we went to a Halloween carnival where they ate donuts off a string.  Well Maddie's birthday is right after that, and she wanted to do it for her birthday party.  Ever since, pretty sure my kids think its something you do at birthday parties.  
Jack wanted to have only boys at his party this year.  That worked out nicely, though I said he had to invite his sisters.   He actually considered inviting his friend Caroline that is a girl, but than flatly refused to invite the other girls from his preschool class. I sort of thought that maybe it would be less hurtful if we just didn't invite any girls after that.   It was of course star wars themed.  We told the boys to use the force to eat their donut, and we used a light saber to hit the pinata. 
As you can tell this post really is a celebration of life.   Remembering Johnny, celebrating the birth of two of my very favorite boys in my life, and now the birth of one sweet little baby.   Last week I was able to go to Grant and Liz's and help them out with the birth of their little boy Ezra.  What a sweet baby!  I just fell in love with him.  I thought of kidnapping him, but figured they wouldn't like me after that, and since I really like my relationship with Liz, I changed my mind. 

I enjoyed my time with this little girl too. She is one funny girl!  What a cute and adorable personality. She was struggling a bit with the addition in her family, mainly having to share her attention from Mom with Ezra.  Because of this, she really wanted Liz to do most things for her. That's ok, I understand(Maddie acted the same way when Sadie was born) I do not hold it against her and I feel confidant that I am still her fave. aunt so that's good.  


Thanks so much for wanting me to come guys!  I really feel honored that they trust me and wanted to make me part of this special time with them.   I love you guys!  Bring that baby and his sister to visit me anytime!
I also have to mention that I have the most wonderful husband, willing to hold down the fort at our house with our 4 little ones.   Grant said that Da and I were having two very different experiences.  Here I was holding this sweet little newborn, dreaming of having another of my own.  And Da was home with our crazy 4 thinking that we had our hands more than full and four is enough for us!! HA!
I think I may send him to Bud and Heath's in May to help with their little one.  Maybe that would change his mind??????!! 
Here is my crazy four, on my bed, playing games on my kindle!  If you want to become unselfish, just have 4 kids.  You learn really quick that nothing really belongs to just you! Good thing I love them more than anything!
And who wouldn't love this little cheesy face?  Talk about cute! 
Also, with my kids getting older, I am learning I can really put them to work. I wanted to try this new recipe of homemade dishwasher soap, so I just had Maddie and Mckenzie make it.  I gave them all the ingredients and told them how to make it, and left them to it.   Also, having four kids really means you have more than that. That's ok, I put their friends to work to,  I guess they don't mind, because they keep coming back!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

What a nice post! I'm so sorry about your cousin, but then so sweet to visit family, new babies, and birthdays!