Wednesday, June 9, 2010

I see red!

The first part of May I decided to try my hand at gardening. Last year I grew some petunias with great success, so this year I thought I could try to add something else. I went with tomato plants. I used the upside down garden, you plant big tomatoes on the bottom and cherry tomatoes on the top. When we went to the beach, I had set up my sprinkler with a timer to water everything, and when I returned, the tomato plant was nearly dead! But with plenty of water and some time, this guy turned around! Today I noticed that I have two red cherry tomatoes!!! I was so excited. I ran to get Da and showed him, and called a friend(she is growing some as well) to share my exciting news! Can't wait to try them. Maybe just a few more short days! After I returned, I thought my plant would die, or just not give me many tomato, so I quick planted two more pots. Hopefully we will get plenty of tomatoes now. Here is a picture of all three.

Da thinks its hilarious that I am growing tomatoes for one reason. I used to never like tomatoes, until I became pregnant with Jack. Ever since, I LOVE them! Seriously, if we run out around here, I head to the store that day. We really can't go without them! Look how big that plant is!! Crazy!
So recently we have had to cut out Jack's naps. He would still like to take them, but if he even gets like 20 minutes the kid is up until 11 pm! Not worth it. But around 6, he is pretty tired. He loves this backpack, and will just randomly go and get it and bring it to Da to carry him around in. So the other day ago, Da was helping me make dinner, with Jack in the pack, when I noticed he was totally out! So funny. He slept for about 30 mins, and didn't go to bed until midnight!!! Yup, we try to avoid things like this happening.

The girls both played softball this year. Sadly we are crappy parents and really did not get any pictures of them actually playing. But I did snap this picture one night before heading out to games. Maddie played coach pitch and really did very well. She turned out to be a really consistent hitter, she doesn't bang it out there, but she never strikes out. With time I think she will learn to swing harder and will be a great little player.
Sadie did great. It was her first time playing, she was on a t-ball team. She spent most of her time digging in the dirt when she was on the field, but she liked to bat and she had a lot of team spirit. Both girls are already talking of playing next season! Success I say!

5 comments:

Stuart and Kimber said...

I'm soooo jealous!! That is totally great!!! (There is hope for ours too!) :)

Grandma Sue said...

Dad would be pleased to see you trying a garden - He too is growing tomatoes upside down - just gotta do it once to see if you like it. The girls are growing toooo fast.

Liz and Grant said...

I think it would be fun to grow something, but I get pretty overewhelmed just trying to keep our yard looking presentable...
maybe in a few years i'll try it out. And it sounds like Jack is half energizer bunny- he just goes and goes!

Liz said...

I love that you say you're crappy parents because you didn't take any pictures of the girls playing softball. Jack is such a stinker. He's like the girls all over again with the naps. I can't believe a 30 minute nap keeps him up so late.

Janelle said...

I love all your posts. So excited for baby #4 to get here!!!! I don't get to catch up much since we don't have any internet or hardly phone in Mexico...but please send us texts or phone messages and we will get them ASAP. We love and miss you all.