Monday, January 18, 2010

Attention: all ye frugals.......

I came upon a recipe to make your own laundry soap and I thought I would share. Its a tremendous savings, and I have been using it for a week without any complaints.


4c hot water
1 fels-naptha bar soap, grated (I used the food processor)
1 c arm and hammer super washing soda
1/2 c borax
10-15 drops essential oil(optional) such as lavender or orange or whatever you like

add grated soap with 4 cups of hot water to a saucepan. Stir continually over med-low heat until soap dissolves.
Fill a 5 gallon bucket half full of hot tap water, add melted soap, washing soda, borax and oil if desired. Stir well until powder is dissolved. Fill bucket to top with more hot tap water. Stir, cover with lid, and let sit overnight.
Fill old soap dispenser, or cleaned out vinegar bottle or milk jug half full of laundry soap, half full of hot tap water. Shake well before each use.



This took me about 1/2 hour to make and I estimate it will last my large family about 6 months!! All the ingredients are found at your local grocery store(I couldn't find it at walmart) and combined cost about 5 dollars!! As I said, a tremendous savings!
Hope some of you out there find this helpful! Any questions feel free to give me a call or email.

3 comments:

KrizteeTrain said...

We will check up on you and see how this works. We like saving $$$ too but I am interested in its use as a cleansing solution.

The Patty Cake House said...

I love this!!!! I'm so excited to try it!!! You are awesome!!!!!!

Brooke said...

Wow that is amazing! I am going to try it!