Thursday, March 26, 2009

Maddie or Mady?????

Now that Madelynn is really into writing and spelling, she has decided that she would like to spell her name Mady(her nickname) Da and I have always spelled it Maddie. In her defense, I have really only taught her how to spell Madelynn, since that is her real name I thought that was best. But in the last couple of weeks she has been wanting to write her nickname, I told her how to spell it (Maddie) and she decided that she preferred Mady. She comes home with her papers from school with Mady, and the other day ago I saw that she had wrote Madelynn, and than erased the elynn and just added the y. I am proud of her for sounding it out and coming up with this on her own, and I don't want to discourage her from discovering things by herself. But, what do I do? Do I just go ahead, and now we spell her name Mady? Or should I try to get her to spell it Maddie? If it was a question of how to spell Madelynn, I would be firm, that's her legal name. But, this is just a nickname. So, I am asking for some advice, do you think I should allow her to change it?

4 comments:

Liz and Grant said...

I went by Lizy my whole childhood, and didn't find out that I was mispelling my name until I was about 12, but by then Lizzie, or lizzy just didin't seem right. My advice, let her be Mady if she wants to, short names are great! especially when they have to write those poems using each letter of their name at the start of the school year.

Lani said...

oh, that's tough. Personally, I wouldn't like seeing it spelled that way but only because I'm a perfectionist and technically when spelled MADY it has a long A sound. Maybe you could get her to double the 'd' and spell it Maddy? :-P
Jaxson went through a time when he wanted his name spelled Jackson. I think it's part of the whole independence thing.

Grandma Sue said...

When I look at Mady I think that someone is Mad all the time - You might try alittle "english" reasoning with her and still let her have the last word. Good luck - Where are the pictures of your trip? Miss you guys!!!

KrizteeTrain said...

I am not a fan of Mady but it's her own nickname lol so I would let it be. You can call her whatever you want and spell it your own way, but allow her to do the same.

I used to go by Nat, then Nate, then Nathan, and now Nathaniel. She'll change when she gets a little older :)